Data Warehouse Specialist
at Verticalmove, Inc. in California-Silicon Valley/Peninsula
Data Warehouse Specialist
PLEASE NOTE PRIOR TO APPLYING: WE'RE SEARCHING FOR INDIVIDUALS COMING FROM ENTERPRISE OR CONSUMER SOFTWARE COMPANIES ONLY (THINK SIMILAR TO YAHOO, MICROSOFT, FACEBOOK, GOOGLE, AOL, REAL NETWORKS, ETC).
We're considered to be a very successful, fast-moving, agile and iterative consumer-facing dot-com with locations in San Diego, CA, Irvine, CA, Tempe, AZ and San Francisco, CA that is backed by both Kleiner Perkins (Facebook, Zynga, Groupon, Google, Amazon) and Goldman Sachs. We're profitable, growing aggressively (organically and through acquisitions) and exceed $1/4 billion in annual revenues.
The Data Warehouse Specialist will be responsible for ongoing analysis of data obtained from a variety of sources. The specialist will require proficiency with SQL, exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities, strong data warehousing skills, knowledge of data analysis methodology, strong communication skills, and use of presentation software. Responsibilities will also include:
- Designing, implementing and supporting the data warehousing.
- Implementing business rules via stored procedures, middleware, or other technologies.
- Defining user interfaces and functional specifications.
- Responsible for verifying accuracy of data, and maintaining and supporting the data warehouse
- Strong technical competencies using SQL and PL/SQL.
- Use and support database applications and tools for extraction, transformation and analysis of raw data.
- Evaluate the source systems and external systems that feed data into the data warehouse and create standards to satisfy data integrity requirements for the organization.
- Lead discussions with business users and source system owners to derive business rules and data rules to be used in data quality assessments. Determine the quality and integrity of data required to meet business needs of the end users and work towards resolving the most critical data quality issues. Develop recommendations on how the business can constantly improve its data quality.
- Develop, manage, and validate existing data models including logical and physical models of the data warehouse and source systems
- Develop and program test scripts to identify and manage data inconsistencies and testing of ETL processes
- Investigate, analyze, document and assist in resolution of data quality issues reported by Business Users and I.S. personnel. Researches root causes of problems with contributed data and leads effort to remedy the issue with contributor. Provide detailed reports to support cleanup of data (manual and automatedEvaluate and improve data quality throughout source systems by implementing data quality safeguards
- Provides data flow diagrams and documenting processes
- Strong Unix/Linux skills
- Understanding of corporate systems, data environments and reporting tools
- Maintain ISO Security Compliance Requirements.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, related field, or equivalent experience to include a minimum 4-6 years experience in the design and development of Enterprise Data Warehouse / Business Intelligence systems.
- Strong analytical and documentation skills.
- Experience in data analysis and problem solving with large amounts of data.
- Experience in data architecture, data warehousing, master data management, enterprise information integration and ETL.
- Experience with data analysis, modeling and design specific to a data warehouse.
- Experience with the design of large scale ETL solutions integrating multiple source systems.
- Experience using different development methodologies including SDLC, Scrum, and/or Agile, and test-driven development
- Thorough understanding of processes and activities as they relate to the Finance, Sales, Marketing and Contact Center organizations. Understands complex business issues across many functions and departments.
- Ability to mentor others and provide technical direction on data architecture, reporting, warehousing and OLAP design.
- Desired experience with Informatica or similar ETL tools such as DataStage (Ascential), Cognos Decision Stream, Oracle Warehouse Builder a plus.
- Extensive experience with SQL and SQL scripting for relational databases such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, MySQL.
- Experience with Business Objects, one or more best of breed BI tools is a plus.
- Ability to communicate design solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences.