SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER, CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE
at Verticalmove, Inc. in Washington-Seattle
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER, CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE
|Compensation||$0 – $0|
|Location||United States, WA – 98101|
Are you familiar with the OpenStack project founded by Rackspace and Nasa? Interested in building massively distributed private and public cloud-based solutions? We’re in the process of building the largest IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) offering based upon OpenStack — our beta is already significantly larger than most production systems. You’ll be part of the early team rolling out more than 20,000u across US, Europe and Asia in 2012. Please note this position is NOT with Rackspace, Amazon, IBM or Google.
IDC estimates the cloud revenue is growing at more than 25 percent a year, and will reach $55.5 billion by 2014. 30 percent of total spending on software applications in the corporate market will be for cloud applications by 2014.
You’ll be joining one of the most respected names in the industry. We serve more than 1 billion customers in over 170 countries worldwide and have the proud distinction of being part of the Fortune 50. It’s well known that the ‘Cloud’ industry will be ruled by a handful of the biggest names and you should think about joining a company that will clearly own a significant piece of the domain.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision, learn new skills while improving on existing ones, all the while maintaining a positive and can do attitude. This candidate will be passionate about open source software, agile practices and DevOps values. Successful candidates will bias toward action and focus on supporting iterative (*Release early, release often*) approaches to the organization and their work.
- Specify, design and deliver complex systems and network solutions.
- Design, implement and manage automation, build and configuration infrastructure (e.g; Chef, Jenkins, etc) which replaces manual tasks. Train and mentor others in Operations on their effective usage.
- Design and implement system-level and service-level monitoring solutions, training and mentoring Operations and Development teams on their usage and deployment, configuration and management.
- Maintain and troubleshoot in-house and 3rd party software, working with both internal/external groups to ensure our stack is effectively integrated, configured, managed and supported in production.
- Act as a subject matter expert and liaison between different teams to help understand cross-functional requirements and contribute to discussions and planning as required to make those goals into reality, whilst maintaining the performance and availability expected of a high-profile public cloud offering.
- Deliver project milestones and tasks assigned by manager on schedule, communicating progress regularly.
- Author and update high-quality documentation of all relevant specifications, systems and procedures.
- Remain current on trends and make recommendations to correct deficiencies and deliver improvements.
- Support our 24×7 production environment including carrying an on-call pager on rotation.
- Communicate effectively with management, co-workers and business partners.
- Mentor the junior members within the team, and provide direction and leadership within Technical Operations.
- May require evening and weekend work as needed to support business
- On-call duties, support and expectations are a part of this role
- Interest or experience with Openstack.
- Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years experience in a role with responsibility for installation, maintenance, tuning, security and high availability of Linux server infrastructures.
- Minimum five (5) to seven (7) years experience working as a Systems Engineer with common protocols/software including DNS, NTP, NFS, SMTP, HTTP, syslog, SSH
- Strong familiarity with scripting languages; preference given to Ruby, Python and Shell
- Demonstrable experience with designing, deploying and maintaining monitoring solutions using Open Source tools (e.g; Nagios, Munin, Reconnoiter, Graphite)
- Demonstrable experience with running an Open Source automation system such as Puppet or Chef.
- Strong familiarity with agile software development lifecycle including source control systems (e.g; Git), ticketing systems (e.g; JIRA, Bugzilla) and managed workflows.
- Familiarity with operations best practices, including usual themes (e.g; Backups, Security)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to effectively convey messages via presentation to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, able to nail down tricky problems. Used to isolating things down to network faults, hardware faults, knowledge of performance/tuning within Linux kernel
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.