SENIOR/LEAD DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE
at Verticalmove, Inc. in Washington-Seattle
SENIOR/LEAD DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE
|Compensation||$0 – $0|
|Location||United States, WA – 98101|
Are you familiar with the OpenStack project founded by Rackspace and Nasa? Interested in building massively distributed private and public cloud-based solutions? We’re in the process of building the largest IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) offering based upon OpenStack — our beta is already significantly larger than most production systems. You’ll be part of the early team rolling out more than 20,000u across US, Europe and Asia in 2012. Please note this position is NOT with Rackspace, Amazon, IBM or Google.
IDC estimates the cloud revenue is growing at more than 25 percent a year, and will reach $55.5 billion by 2014. 30 percent of total spending on software applications in the corporate market will be for cloud applications by 2014.
You’ll be joining one of the most respected names in the industry. We serve more than 1 billion customers in over 170 countries worldwide and have the proud distinction of being part of the Fortune 50. It’s well known that the ‘Cloud’ industry will be ruled by a handful of the biggest names and you should think about joining a company that will clearly own a significant piece of the domain.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision, learn new skills while improving on existing ones, all the while maintaining a positive and can do attitude. This candidate will be passionate about open source software, agile practices and DevOps values. Successful candidates will bias toward action and focus on supporting iterative (*Release early, release often*) approaches to the organization and their work.
- Database server deployment design, processes, and day-to-day operations, including monitoring and performance tuning
- Formulation, management and execution of data test strategies, plans and delivery commitments in concert with business and project management efforts.
- Implement and test best practice backups and replication
- Work closely with the architects and developers to develop superior processes, tools, and techniques related to data access, availability, replication, monitoring, performance and archival, including details such as schema normalization, stored procedures, query, cache and index optimization
- Maintain current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology
- Maintain up-to-date documentation on deployments and processes and run books
- Report on operational status at both a tactical and strategic level, including key-performance indicators
- Experience in triage, troubleshooting and response in a 24×7 environment
- Participate in the design and delivery of complex systems and network solutions.
- Participate in the design and implementation of system-level and service-level monitoring solutions
- Act as a subject matter expert and liaison between different teams to help understand cross-functional requirements and contribute to discussions and planning as required to make those goals into reality, whilst maintaining the performance and availability expected of a high-profile public cloud offering.
- Deliver project milestones and tasks assigned by manager on schedule, communicating progress regularly.
- Support our 24×7 production environment including carrying an on-call pager on rotation.
- Communicate effectively with management, co-workers and business partners.
- May require evening and weekend work as needed to support business
- Mentor the junior members within the team, and provide direction and leadership within Technical Operations.
- Responsible for coaching and mentoring of employees through daily interaction
- Act as a liaison between product development and production operations to define changes in implementations that support on-going software development
- Specify and oversee the creation and maintenance of high-quality documentation of all relevant systems and procedures
- Interest or experience with Openstack.
- Strong desire to build, sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- 10+ years experience in enterprise and large-scale internet-facing data operations, including 5+ years as a leader
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as a database administrator in a role with responsibility for installation, maintenance, tuning, security and high availability of database server infrastructures.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience working as a database engineer with common database technologies such as Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Postgres, MySQL or equivalent.
- Minimum five (5) years experience working in Linux or UNIX hosted database environment
- Minimum five (5) years experience with open source software such as MySQL, Postgres and Linux
- Strong familiarity with scripting languages; preference given to Ruby, Python and Shell
- Demonstrable experience with designing, deploying and maintaining monitoring solutions using Open Source tools (e.g; Nagios, Munin, Reconnoiter, Graphite)
- Strong familiarity with agile software development lifecycle including source control systems (e.g; Git), ticketing systems (e.g; JIRA, Bugzilla) and managed workflows.
- Hands-on experience with installation and administration of various database servers
- Strong familiarity with large-scale distributed system and transactional designs
- Proven results oriented person with a delivery focus and demonstrated ability to achieve in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Strong technical vision.
- Strong presentation and leadership skills.
- Familiarity with operations best practices, including usual themes (e.g; Backups, Security)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to effectively convey messages via presentation to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.