Systems Administrator / Support Technician
at Blue Box in Washington-Seattle
Blue Box is a bootstrapped and profitable Ruby hosting company. In business since 2003, Blue Box has a proven track record of creating innovative products, and a reliable hosting platform, all while staying true to our roots of maintaining high customer satisfaction.
We are looking for a highly motivated Systems Administrator / Support Technician to join our ranks and help us continue our track record of client engagement and success.
This position would be a full time position.
Hours: 5pm PDT to Midnight PDT or Midnight to 8am PDT
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Answering customer support questions through a ticket system, telephone calls, and customer chat
● Handling tier 2 support issues.
● Work with our existing staff to continue the build out of our knowledge base.
● Take part in shaping support related company standards, policy and services.
● Participate in an on-call rotation for after hours support.
● Become knowledgeable in one or more specific skills often required by our customers needs.
● The administration of CentOS, Ubuntu and other Linux servers.
● Hardware support Intel and AMD server hardware
● Shell scripting for various system administration tasks.
● Providing phone and email support to customers.
● System performance optimization.
● Independently handling minor customer emergencies.
Our niche is in the Ruby on Rails managed hosting space, so the ideal candidate would have experience in the field. We're a company of self-starters and self-learners. We're looking for an individual who is able to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing and potentially demanding environment. Because of the wide variety of software and skills required, it is not expected that the candidate be familiar with all systems currently in use (see a semi-complete list at the bottom of this document). However, the candidate should come to the job with a history of working on a support team, and an understanding of general system administration. Furthermore, the candidate should posses the following traits:
● Ability to seek creative, viable solutions to problems.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Strong analytical and computer skills.
● Ability to work independently.
● Willingness to learn and teach.
● Enthusiasm in problem solving and customer service.
Below is a list of different network technologies and vendors we work with regularly. Familiarity with most of these is a big plus.
● Ruby on Rails
● CentOS / Red Hat, Ubuntu
● MySQL and MySQL Replication
● F5 BigIP LTM Load Balancers
● Version Control (Git, SVN)
● Cisco Switches and Routers
● LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
● OpenVZ / Xen
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
The desired candidate will posses 3 or more years of support representative experience and an educational background in the field. Proven experience is valued over education. Prior experience in the data center industry is a plus. Experience with Ruby on Rails is highly sought after.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, dexterity in using a telephone, computer keyboard, mouse, and calculator while seated at desk are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Blue Box Group provides a unique and diverse set of benefits including:
● Quarterly profit sharing plan for all employees
● 23 days of annual PTO (vacation, sick time, holidays)
● Pay bonus for participating in the on-call rotation
● Travel benefits to industry conferences