at Evri in Washington-Seattle
The Genie team is responsible for the design, development and maintenance of core infrastructure systems. Together, these systems:
- Identify distinct newsworthy entities (people, places, and things) and their associated properties
- Locate such entities in articles as they are published
- Filter articles at ingestion time into channels about specific topics
- Create a search index for surfacing articles based on subject:verb:object triples
- Keep track of popularity trends (how often a particular person, place or thing is mentioned in the news over time)
- Provide APIs for internal and 3rd party access
On this team, you will work in diverse areas such as distributed search systems, real-time computing, deep parsing, natural language processing, machine learning, trend analysis and topic detection.
We are hard at work on a news filter which categorizes each article into some number of the 2.5 million topics we recognize. Our goal is to lower the latency between an article's publication and when we can recommend it to our users, while also lowering query latency for our clients. We are looking to add an engineer to help with this effort, as well as to continue to expand and support the systems that are already in production.
Other potential tasks include:
- Building a service to suggest topics to a user given a set of liked items on Facebook
- Implementing A/B tests to identify areas to improve in our article recommendations
- Identifying and rectifying redundant or overly complex code and systems in an effort to simplify and harden our codebase
To be successful in this role, you should have rock solid software engineering fundamentals - that's the only absolute requirement!
Experience with any or all of the following: Hadoop, Lucene, Solr, Postgres, Ruby and Java
Experience with ontologies, knowledge representation, and/or processing large heterogeneous data sets is a plus
An obsession with creating things, whether it's code, hardware, art, music, organizations or other personal projects.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org